Prime Minister David Cameron today launched the new national Conservative campaign highlighting our long-term plan to secure a healthier economy and a better future for Britain.
Over the last five years, Britain had been on a journey from the brink of bankruptcy to one of the fastest growing economies in the developed world. From a nightmare deficit to a deficit cut in half. From job losses to record job creation, with an average of 1,000 jobs created every single day since the election.
Thanks to the hard work of the British people, there are now:
· 1.75 million more people in work than five years ago – giving more families peace of mind
· 760,000 more businesses than there were five years ago – employing more people
· Over 24 million hard working people paying less tax than they were five years ago – making family budgets a bit easier
· More children getting a better education than they were five years ago – with one million more learning in schools ranked ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’
· Pensioners better off than they were five years ago – with the State Pension increased by £800, giving more people security in their retirement
We’ve come so far along this road. It’s taken the hard work, resilience and sacrifice of the British people to get us this far. For the sake of our children and grandchildren, we need to stay on the road to a better, brighter future for everyone in our country.